Saturday, March 8, 2014

Historical Reflection: HIV and AIDS

HIV is a heartbreaking disease. When it was first termed GRID (Gay Related Immune Deficiency) in the very early 1980s, there was little known about it. It was quickly realized that it was, rather than disorder related to sexual orientation, it was related to a virus that enters the body through a few modes of transmission (related to sexual contact, contact with blood, or IV drug use) -- and referred to as HIV (Human Immuno-Deficiency Virus) that (may) lead to AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome). Many feared modes of transmission did not in fact lead to transmission of the virus.

Initially, upon learning of the virus, people reacted with discrimination, hatred, and cruelty. Reactions based on fear, confusion, and lack of scientific understanding resulted in injury, pain, and disenfranchisement. Unfortunately, these have not been completely removed, especially outside of this country.

I watched the Dallas Buyers Club last night from the comfort of my home. I started thinking about the historical trajectory of the virus. I am a huge nerd. In high school, for fun, I joined the AIDS club, although I had never met anyone with AIDS. Although this was circa-fifteen years ago, I remember doing the walk in downtown Phoenix (a foreign land to someone from the suburbs of North Scottsdale) and the AIDS quilts comemmorating the lives lost. At this time, the drug "cocktails' that would eventually serve to stop HIV in its track for many had begun use within the US.

The summer before I went to my Senior year of High School, I went on a medical forum in L.A. One of the most interesting symposiums was on HIV and AIDS. This was in 2000 (now I feel old and nerdy.) Since then, I have done reading here and there on the internet. I was specifically interested in the transmission from the Simian population to the Humans in Africa and the subsequent spread to the US. as well as the promise of curing the Virus. The recent news of a second baby born without HIV is very exciting.

The movie really got me thinking, and watching a documentary, and reading. A "death sentence" is no longer a death sentence. There is always hope.

1 comment:

  1. Dallas buyers club was a power-win movie! You are right. There is always hope. :)

    ReplyDelete