Friday, March 7, 2014

Reflection: A Place of Serenity

In this world of chaos and disorder, it is so hard for me to find a place of peace and clarity. About seven years ago, a woman I looked to for spiritual guidance directed me to the a center for spiritual growth in Paradise Valley. It was unlike anywhere I had ever been. It was beautiful, tranquil and replete with native plants and animals. In fact, it was dedicated to meditation and prayer for individuals seeking spiritual growth. It offers retreats, and a Franciscan Catholic Church. It has changed my life over the past several years, even prompting me to join the Church.


This is Saint Francis, a man who gave up a great deal of wealth and status to grow closer to God after a spiritual experience. He took an extreme vow of poverty, attracted followers, and the group eventually became a sect of the Catholic Church, termed the Franciscans. He is known for a love and dedication to nature and animals. The Center is a direct reflection of this. He serves as an inspiration to me, and I look up to his example and have found him to be so important in my growth in general but also as a Cattholic


Meditation allows spiritual growth and an opportunity to get closer to a feeling of tranquility. What I love about this little chapel is that it is dedicated to meditation. It is a place on earth where I feel comfortable and free. I wish that I did more meditation, but I try to take it one day at a time and do the best that I can, knowing that I am okay, just for today, as a precious child of God.



The Labyrinth is amazing, several concentric circles that I have walked many, many times. On the way into the center, I sometimes focus on the things that I want to offer up to God. At the center, I say a prayer and ask him for strength. On the way out, I focus on my connection with God and the opposite of my fears and struggles. It is incredibly freeing. Other times, I just pray and move around on my journey. Any way, it is ok. It’s sometimes surprising to say it, but God’s got it.

1 comment:

  1. I have been to this beautiful place many times. I agree with you that the action of walking the labyrinth is a freeing and spiritual experience. I would recommend it to anyone who has never walked it before. =)

    ReplyDelete